Traveling to the beach this summer? Staying fit is no sweat, thanks to these three quickie workouts from trainers at The Sports Club/LA-San Francisco. Each is 30 minutes long and perfect for squeezing in a workout in the sand and sun.
Workout #1: Walk and Work
This 30-minute stretch, cardio, and strength session from trainer Stella Lehnhoff is great for all fitness levels.
Warm Up: Do 6-8 reps of the following:
- Arm Reaches: Stand tall, reach arms out to your sides and overhead, then sweep them back down.
- Arm Circles: Make 6-8 large, forward circles with the arms. Repeat, circling arms backward.
- Toe Touches: Reach arms upward, then toward the toes, keeping the knees as straight as possible.
- Side-to-Side Touches: Step feet wider than hip-width apart and alternate reaching each hand upward and then down, twisting the torso and folding forward to reach across to the opposite toe.
- Knee Hug: Lift your right knee into your chest, and hold. Repeat on the left side.
- Quad Stretch: Lift your right heel toward your right glute and hold the ankle for 3 seconds with your right hand. Repeat on the left side.
Workout: Alternate three minutes of walking with each exercise below. Walk at a regular pace for the first two minutes, then briskly for the third.
- Chair Sit: Step feet hip-width apart, toes turned slightly outward. Sit back as if into a chair, keeping weight in your heels and knees behind the toes. Rest hands on hips or reach above the head. Hold for 30 seconds.
- Mountain Climbers: Get into plank position with feet hip-width apart. Alternate lifting each knee into the chest, keeping your core engaged, for 30 seconds.
- Rotating Lunges: Step right foot forward into a lunge, then twist the torso to the right, then the left. Repeat on the left side, and continue to alternate sides, twisting the torso each time. Do 15 on each side.
- Jumping Jacks: Jump feet wider than hip width and reach arms overhead. Jump feet back together and lower arms. Repeat for 30 seconds.
- Burpies: Stand with feet together. Get into plank position. Jump both knees toward the chest, and return to standing. Repeat for 30 seconds.
- Plank hold: Return to plank and hold for 30 seconds, engaging the core and keeping the shoulders broad.
Cool Down: Walk at a regular pace for three minutes.
Workout #2: Run the Line
This routine from trainer Michael Halatyn will get your metabolism roaring. To begin, draw two parallel lines in the sand, about 40 feet long and 4 feet apart. This will be your “runway.” Repeat the circuit below 2-4 times as quickly as possible, with as little rest as possible.
- Shuttle Runs: Stand on the outside of the right line. Sprint to the end of the line, step left to the inside of the line and sprint backwards to the start. Step to the outside of the left line, and sprint to the end. Step to the right and sprint backwards to the start. Repeat the pattern doing side shuffles and the grapevine as fast as you can.
- Forward Side Hops: Stand on the outside of the right line. Begin to hop side to side across the line moving toward the end. Turn around and hop back. Try to keep your landings soft.
- Suicide to Squat Jumps: Divide your runway into four equal squares (they’ll be 10’ x 4’). Stand at the beginning of the rectangle; sprint to the first line and back, the second line and back, the third line and back, and to the end of the runway and back. Next, squat down and jump up as high as you can 6-12 times, holding for 5 seconds at the bottom of each squat.
- Walkout: Stand at the end of the rectangle. Place your hands on the ground and walk them forward until you’re in plank position. Keeping your legs as straight as possible, walk your toes up to your hands and repeat until you reach the end.
- Crab Crawls: Start in push-up position perpendicular to one end of the runway. Walk your body, in push-up stance, to the opposite end of the runway and back.
Workout #3: Tone and Burn
Tone your whole body with this cardio plus strength routine from trainer Judy Truong.
You’ll need: Two sand buckets and a water noodle or towel.
Warm Up: (5 minutes)
- Jog in place for 1 minute.
- Run for two minutes (run up the beach 1 minute; turn around and run back to your starting place).
- Jog in place for 1 minute.
- Walk in place for 1 minute.
Workout: Repeat this sequence twice for a total of 20 minutes.
- Walking Lunges: Stand with feet together, holding buckets in each hand (fill with a little sand for a bigger challenge). Step forward with your right foot and lower into a lunge. Push off with your left foot and step into a lunge. Repeat until you’ve lunged 15 times. Repeat, lunging backward to return to your starting place.
- Beach Crawls: Crawl—on hands and knees—15 steps forward and backward.
- Single Leg Dead Lift to a Lateral Raise: Stand holding buckets with feet shoulder-width apart. Hinge your upper body forward and lift your right leg behind you until it’s parallel to the sand. Meanwhile, bend left knee slightly and keep the spine straight. Return to standing and lift the buckets to shoulder level, extending arms away from you.
- Push-ups to Planks: Start in plank position (or place your knees on the ground to make it easier). Do 6-8 push-ups; then hold plank position for 30-60 seconds.
- Forward Fold: Reach up toward the sky, drawing your belly in; then reach down toward your toes.
- Over the Rainbow: Grab your noodle (or towel). Hold with arms spread apart. Standing with legs hip width apart, reach arms overhead and to the right; Hold, then switch sides.
- Cobra: Lie on your stomach with both hands palms-down next to your shoulders. Keep legs and hips grounded as you lift your head and upper chest to stretch your upper body.
blog comments powered by Disqus