Try these seven steps for setting—and keeping—your healthy New Year’s resolutions.
The top New Year’s resolutions are almost without a doubt losing weight and getting in shape. During the holiday season, people literally feed into the festivities and adopt an “enjoy it now” attitude, which can lead to being heavier at the start of the New Year. They make resolutions to change their ways but typically only stick to them for a few weeks because they lack the direction and motivation they need to be successful. But that’s not you, not this year! I’m going to share with you seven steps to a new you in the New Year … seven steps to ensure that you follow through on your resolutions for a healthier 2013!
RELATED: How to Keep Your Resolutions
1. Set smart goals. Vague resolutions like “lose weight” or “get in shape” don’t often stick because it’s hard to track your progress. Be specific, and set measureable, time-sensitive goals. For instance, “I will lose 5 percent body fat in two months,” or “Over the next six months, I will follow a set training regimen and complete my first half-marathon.” When you have a specific goal to meet in a specific amount of time and you can track your progress, you’ll be more likely to stick with it.
2. Make a plan, and know your numbers. So many people are unsuccessful in keeping their resolutions and reaching their goals simply because they don’t know where to start. You need to take your “smart” goal, and break it down into smaller, bite-sized pieces. This is where knowing your numbers is key. Every body has different needs based on factors like body type, age, muscle and metabolic rate. By meeting with a trainer or investing in a calorie-monitoring device like the Bodybugg or FitBit, you’ll have an accurate understanding of what you’re burning, so you know how much you can afford to take in. Then, figure out what you need to do each month, each week, each day to move closer to your goal.
3. Take the first step. Just do it already! Sometimes you just have to jump in. What’s the one thing you’ve been avoiding that you know will set you into motion? It doesn’t have to be anything big … maybe just ordering a new workout program or signing up for a class or making an appointment with a trainer. There’s something that is step one that will help you get started. And THAT is what you need to do now!
4. Give yourself time to build momentum. Think about it: You have to get on the on-ramp before you can get on the freeway. So many people get frustrated and disappointed when they don’t immediately get to where they want to go. It takes time to get into the swing of things, but if you’re persistent and stick with it, you’ll be well on your way to achieving your goal.
5. Find your soulmate workout. You’re much more likely to stick with exercising regularly if you find something you actually enjoy. Not every workout is suitable for everyone. Try different videos or classes at the gym, or sign up for a sports team … find something that you can actually look forward to so you can make it a habit.
6. Set small milestones. It’s hard to keep moving toward a goal that seems so far away. Set small milestones that you can reach monthly, weekly or even daily to track your progress and stay motivated to reach your big goal. Then, celebrate those milestones!
7. Have an accountability system. We’re much more likely to cheat on ourselves than to disappoint someone we care about. That’s why, in order to be successful in sticking to your resolutions, it’s vital to have an accountability system. Make a promise to an important person in your life, find a workout buddy and have a support system in place.
If you don’t have someone to support you and check in with (and even if you do), I have a free goal-setting and accountability program that you can join to stay on track toward reaching your goals, and I’d love to have you join us! We begin a new challenge the first of every month, and we’re working to make our next one beginning January 1, 2013, our biggest challenge yet!
Each day, you’ll receive an email and a video from me with small steps you can take daily to reach your fitness goals … and any goal you have for that matter! You’ll also have access to a group of like-minded people who will cheer you on! Sign up for free at www.30daypush.com today!
You can totally be that person you’ve always wanted to be or have the body you’ve always wanted in 2013! Just follow these seven steps to set yourself up for success for the whole year! Let’s make 2013 one to remember! Happy Holidays!