Add one or more of these exercises to your routine 3 days a week for best results.
- Holding a dumbbell in your left hand, stand with your right knee on a chair as shown. To begin, your left elbow should be bent and your upper arm parallel to your torso.
- With abs tight, exhale and slowly straighten your left arm (your upper arm should remain stationary next to your torso).
- Inhale and slowly bend your elbow, returning to starting position. Repeat 8 to 12 times on each side.
- Get into pushup position, placing hands directly under your breastbone with thumbs and forefingers touching so that they form a triangle shape.
- Exhale and slowly lower your body to the floor until elbows are at right angles (or as low as you can go).
- Inhale and push through the hands until arms are straight (don’t lock elbows). Repeat 8 to 12 times.
- Sit on a bench or chair with your hands next to your hips. Lift your hips and slide forward until your bottom clears the chair.
- Bend your elbows (no more than 90 degrees) and lower the hips, keeping your shoulders down.
- Push back up without locking the elbows; repeat 8 to 12 times.