Reduced-Fat Banana Cream Pie
- Yield 8 servings
Bananas are layered in a vanilla wafer crust and topped with a reduced-fat custard made with skim milk.
- 1 cup reduced-fat vanilla wafer crumbs
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) margarine, melted
- 1/4 -- plus 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 -- bananas, sliced
- 3 large egg whites
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a pie plate, mix vanilla wafer crumbs and margaine. Press into the bottom and up sides of a pie plate and bake 5 to 7 minutes; set aside. Increase oven temperature to 400F.
- In a saucepan, combine 1/4 cup sugar and cornstarch. Gradually add skim milk, stirring until blended. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens and comes to a boil. Boil 1 minute longer, stirring constantly.
- In a small bowl, gradually stir 1/3 of hot mixture into beaten egg. Return this to remaining hot mixture, stirring constantly. Cook another 2 minutes, stirrring constantly. Remove from heat and add vanilla.
- Spread sliced bananas on baked pie crust and then cover with custard.
- With a mixer, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Spread meringue over filled pie and bake 4 to 5 minutes, until merigue begins to turn golden. Watch closely.