Tomato Herb Bisque
- Yield: 6-8 servings
- 2 (14-ounce) cans fat-free chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 (15-ounce) can garbanzo beans, undrained
- 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, undrained
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1/4cup chopped curly parsley
- 1/4cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4cup chopped fresh basil
- 1tablespoon fresh oregano
- 1large red pepper, quartered
- 1large orange pepper, quartered
- 1tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1large clove garlic, minced
- 2tablespoons raw brown sugar
- 1cup nonfat milk
- 3tablespoons cornstarch
- 1small hot pepper, diced, seeds removed (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- This soup is a bit unusual, as it gets blended first, then cooked. All of the ingredients will not fit into one blender carafe, so you will have to fill twice. Place ½ of the broth, garbanzo beans, pinto beans, and red pepper into a blender and puree until the mixture is smooth (with hot pepper if desired). Pour into a soup pot.
- Place the remaining broth, orange pepper, diced tomatoes, and crushed tomatoes, both types of parsley, basil, cilantro, garlic, oregano, and balsamic vinegar into blender and blend until mixture is smooth. Pour into soup pot. Add brown sugar. Bring soup to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- In a small cup, dissolve cornstarch in milk. Bring soup back up to a boil and slowly whisk in cornstarch mixture. Soup will thicken slightly. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.
Recipe courtesy of The Ultimate Cancer-Fighting Cookbook.