Cherry White Chocolate Scones
- Yield: 10 servings
- 6tablespoons butter
- 2cups Gluten-Free Self-Rising Flour
- 1/3cup sugar
- 1/2teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4cup dried cherries
- 1/3cup white chocolate chips
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 1/2teaspoons vanilla extract
- Additional sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Cut the butter into small pieces and freeze briefly (5 to 10 minutes).
- In the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade, combine the Gluten-Free Self-Rising Flour (see recipe here), sugar, and baking soda. Process briefly to blend. Add the dried cherries and pulse until chopped. Add the butter pieces and pulse until the mixture is very crumbly. Add the chocolate chips and pulse briefly to combine.
- Lightly beat 1 egg in a bowl. Add the buttermilk and vanilla and mix together. Pour into the dry ingredients and pulse to combine. Be careful not to over mix. Turn out onto a sheet of parchment paper and gently knead to blend.
- Using a 1/4-cup scoop, scoop the dough out onto the prepared cookie sheets and shape into circles. Leave 2 inches between the scones as they spread. Beat the remaining egg to use as an egg wash. Brush the tops of the scones with the egg wash and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center of a scone comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- The scones may be frozen. Enjoy!
From the book Gluten-Free Makeovers, by Beth Hillson. Reprinted by arrangement with Da Capo Lifelong, a member of the Perseus Books Group. Copyright © 2011.