Chicken Soup with Corn and Roasted Cumin
- Yield 6 servings
Fresh corn and chicken star in this sweet-savory soup.
Roasted ground cumin is available on supermarket spice racks. If you prefer, you can roast your own by placing ground cumin in a skillet over medium heat and cooking 5 minutes or until fragrant, stirring frequently.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup chopped onion (about 1 medium onion)
- 3 cups coarsely chopped zucchini (about 2 medium zucchini)
- 2 tablespoons chopped jalapeno pepper (1 pepper)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons roasted ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 cups corn kernels (4 ears)
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cooked chicken breast
- 2 cups chopped tomato (1 large tomato)
- 4 cups vegetable or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- -- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- -- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat oil in Dutch oven or large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, zucchini and jalapeno; cook, stirring occasionally, 6 minutes or until vegetables start to brown. Sprinkle with cumin and chili powder; toss to combine.
- Add corn, chicken, tomato, broth, salt and pepper. Cover and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in lime juice. Ladle into shallow soup bowls and garnish with cilantro. Makes 8 cups.
Recipe by Jean Kressy.