Chicken with 40 Garlic Cloves
- Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 large organic chicken
- 2 large sprigs of rosemary
- 2 large sprigs of thyme
- 3-4 large garlic bulbs
- 2 olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 small onion, cut into wedges
- 2 large glasses of Marsala
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas mark 6.
- Place the chopped celery, 1 sprig of each herb and a handful of unpeeled garlic cloves into the chicken cavity.
- Place half the remaining cloves in a lidded casserole, put the chicken on top, brush with olive oil and season well. Arrange the bay leaves, carrot, onion and remaining herbs and garlic cloves around the chicken.
- Drizzle with olive oil then pour over the Marsala. Cover and roast for at least 1 hour 20 minutes, or until the chicken is tender and the juices run clear when the flesh is pierced with a skewer.
- Either serve with toasted bread, spread with the soft flesh of the garlic cloves, or whisk the garlic flesh with the juices from the bottom of the casserole to make a creamy sauce.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Goodness of Garlic: 40 Amazing Immune-Boosting Recipes © 2016 by Natasha Edwards, Kyle Books