Chile and Cheese Fritters
- Yield 18 pieces
- Prep 5 mins
- Cook 10 mins
Dip them in salsa, serve them with Mexican -- but make a lot, because they go fast.
You can substitute 1/3 cup diced roasted red peppers for the poblano. Serve with a tomato or fruit salsa.
- -- Oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 -- egg
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- -- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 ounces cream cheese, frozen and grated.
- 1 -- roasted and peeled poblano or mild chile pepper, diced
- Pour oil to a depth of 1 inch in a large skillet. Heat oil to 350F.
- Combine buttermilk and egg in a large bowl; mix well. Combine flour, cornmeal, baking soda, salt and pepper; mix well. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients; stir well. Add cheese and poblano pepper.
- Drop batter into hot oil, in 1 heaping tablespoon dollops; fry about 3 minutes, flipping halfway through cooking. Remove and drain on paper towels. Serve immediately or keep warm in a 275F oven.
Recipe by Morgan Jarrett.