Sweet Corn, Lemongrass and Turmeric Soup
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1 medium leek, trimmed, halved, and coarsely chopped
- 3/4tablespoon coconut oil, melted if solid
- 3tablespoons Turmeric and Lemongrass Paste (below)
- 3 1/2 cups corn, freshly removed from 4 to 5 cobs
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh cilantro, to garnish
- For the Turmeric and Lemongrass Paste
- 2 fresh red bird's eye chiles
- 4 cloves of garlic peeled
- 4 stalks of lemongrass, coarsely chopped
- 1/3cup ginger, coarsely sliced
- 2 shallots
- 2 1/2teaspoons turmeric powder
- 2/3cup fresh coconut (can be found prepared in supermarkets)
- 1teaspoon shrimp paste
- Sauté the leek in ½ tablespoon coconut oil and 1 tablespoon water until softened, about 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Blend all ingredients for the turmeric and lemongrass paste with 4 to 5 tablespoons of water until a paste forms. (This will take a couple of minutes.) Stir in the paste and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add all but ¾ cup of the corn along with 3 ¾ cups water and the cobs for added flavor. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Heat the broiler to high. Place the reserved corn along with the remaining ¼ tablespoon of coconut oil onto a baking sheet, mix together, and place under the broiler for 5 to 8 minutes. When the corn is starting to char, remove, season, and set aside.
- When the soup is ready, let cool a little before removing the cobs, then blend until smooth. Pour through a strainer to achieve a silky smooth soup, season to taste, and serve garnished with the charred corn and some fresh cilantro.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Skinny Soups: 80 Flavour-Packed Recipes of Less Than 300 Calories © 2017 by Kathyrn Bruton, Kyle Books.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 114
- Fat 4.5g
- Saturated Fat 2g
- Carbohydrate 11.5g
- Fiber 3.7g
- Sugars 3.5g
- Protein 5g