Cranberry Pear Relish
Cranberries help prevent urinary tract infections; pears are high in vitamin K, which supports healthy bones.
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 3-inch strips lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 pound fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed if frozen (4 cups)
- 4 ripe Bosc pears, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- In a medium saucepan, combine the onion, sugar, wine, ginger, lemon zest and salt. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add cranberries and pears and simmer for 20 minutes or until the cranberries and onion have softened.
- Remove and discard the lemon zest. Let cool to room temperature before serving. You can cover and refrigerate the relish for up to 2 weeks.
Recipes excerpted from Cooking With Love: Comfort Food that Hugs You by Carla Hall with Genevieve Ho. Copyright 2012 by Carla Hall. Published by Free Press.