Paleo Creamy Shrimp with Vegetables
- Yield: 3 to 4 servings
- Prep: 10 minutes
- Cook: 20 minutes
Don’t have shrimp or don’t like crustaceans? Opt for chicken or scallops instead.
- 2tablespoons fat (ghee, butter, or coconut oil)
- 2 leeks, white and light green parts, halved lengthwise then sliced crosswise
- 1clove garlic, minced
- 1pound peeled and deveined shrimp
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and then sliced crosswise into half-moons
- 1/4cup chicken stock
- 1/2cup heavy cream or full-fat coconut milk
- 8cups spinach
- Salt and black pepper
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the fat and when hot, add the leeks and sauté until the leeks are softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté a minute more.
- Add the shrimp and lemon zest and cook until the shrimp are pink and mostly cooked, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in the zucchini, stock, cream, and spinach. Cover and cook, stirring a few times, until the spinach has cooked down, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
VARIATION: Mix in some ginger and mushrooms and omit the lemon zest, and this dish comes close to a Chinese stir-fry dish.
Reprinted with permission from Weeknight Paleo © 2017 by Julie and Charles Mayfield, WilliamMorrow, an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers.