Crowd-Pleasing Slow-Cooker Pumpkin Chili
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1pound extra-lean ground beef or turkey breast
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 1 fresh jalapeno chile pepper, seeded and chopped (optional), wear plastic gloves when handling
- 2cloves garlic
- 1can (15 ounces) unsweetened pumpkin puree
- 1can (14 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1tablespoon chili powder (or more to taste)
- 1teaspoon ground cumin
- 2teaspoons salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Coat a large skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium heat Add the ground meat, breaking it up into pieces, and cook until browned, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- In a 3- to 4-quart slow cooker, combine the ground meat, onion, bell peppers, jalapeno pepper (if using), garlic, pumpkin puree, tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, salt, black pepper to taste, and 1 cup water. Cover and cook on low heat for 6 to 7 hours, until the vegetables are tender. Stir to combine the ingredients, ladle into bowls, and serve hot.
Reprinted from “State of Slim” by James O. Hill PhD and Holly R. Wyatt, MD. Copyright (c) 2013 by James O. Hill PhD and Holly R. Wyatt, MD. By permission of Rodale Books. Available wherever books are sold.