Dark Chocolate Cherry Rum Truffles
- Yield 12 servings
These healthy dark chocolate truffles get a special, indulgent touch from rum-braised cherries.
- 3/4 cup dark rum
- 1 vanilla bean
- 2 tablespoons liquid raw sugar or raw honey
- 1 cup sliced pitted cherries
- 6 ounces 100% cocoa unsweetened chocolate bar
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- Finely shredded unsweetened coconut
- Chopped almond slivers
- Finely chopped unsweetened chocolate
- Coconut palm sugar
- Cocoa powder and finely ground coffee beans, or instant espresso
- Combine vanilla bean, sliced lengthwise, and 3/4 cup dark rum in a saucepan. Bring to low heat to allow bean to seep into the rum, about 3-4 minutes. Add sliced cherries and sugar or honey to saucepan. Turn heat to medium low and allow cherries to reduce, until sauce turns bright red.
- Finely chop 6 oz of unsweetened chocolate and melt with a double broiler or microwave. Heat coconut milk and coconut oil in microwave until warm, about 20 seconds.
- Add 1/2 cup of sweet rum sauce to melted chocolate. Add remaining rum, warmed coconut milk, and coconut oil to chocolate mixture, and stir until well combined. Refrigerate, about 4 hours.
- To assemble, use spoon or cookie scooper to portion about 1 teaspoon of chocolate. Add cherry piece to each center, and cover with more chocolate. Form into a ball with hands, and roll ball into topping of choice.