Date and Blue Cheese Ball
- Yield 1 1/2 cups
Cheese balls are an easy, tasty, fab party food--try this lightened-up version with sweet dates and savory blue cheese!
- 8 ounces (225 g) low-fat cream cheese (bar style), at room temperature
- 1 cup (115 g) crumbled blue cheese, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons minced medjool dates (5 or 6 pitted dates)
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped toasted walnuts
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the cream cheese, blue cheese, and buttermilk on medium speed until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes. Add the dates, shallots, lemon zest, salt, and pepper and beat until well combined.
- Transfer the cheese mixture to a large sheet of plastic wrap/cling film and form it into a ball. Wrap the ball in the wrap/film and refrigerate until well chilled, at least 2 hours or overnight.
- In a shallow bowl or plate, mix together the parsley and walnuts. Remove the cheese ball from the refrigerator. With the wrap/film still on, shape into a well-formed ball. Unwrap the cheese mixture and roll it gently in the nut mixture until all sides are well covered. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve. (Can be prepared up to 2 days in advance.)
Suggested Dippers: Crostini, baked pita chips, baked bagel chips, marbled rye toasts, celery and carrot sticks.
Reprinted with permission. Diane Morgan, Skinny Dips: 60 Recipes for Dips, Spreads, Chips and Salsas on the Lighter Side of Delicious, ChronicleBooks (2010)