Feta Gyro Burgers
- Yield 4 servings
- Prep 30 minutes
- Cook 10 minutes
- Gyro Burgers
- 1/2 ends cut and outer skin peeled (4 ounces)
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried ground rosemary
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Tzatziki Sauce
- 1 12 ounce cucumber
- 1 cup whole milk Greek Yogurt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt to taste
- Serve with:
- 12 leaves lettuce (romaine or bibb)
- 4 small roma tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup additional crumbled feta
- For the burgers, process the onion in a food processor until only small pieces remain, scraping down the sides 3-4 times. Add the ground turkey, garlic, marjoram, rosemary, sea salt, and pepper – process to thoroughly combine.
- Stir in the crumbled feta cheese by hand and form into patties. You can do 4 patties like regular sized burgers or 12 for mini burgers.
- Set the patties aside and preheat the grill on high.
- While the grill heats, prepare the cucumber by peeling 4-5 strips off. Cut off both ends and cut lengthwise into quarters, then thinly slice the quarters crosswise into triangles. Set the cucumber aside and prepare the yogurt portion of the sauce.
- Stir together the Greek Yogurt, garlic, olive oil, fresh lemon juice, and sea salt to taste (I used 1 Teaspoon).
- Place the prepared burgers on the preheated grill and immediately lower the heat to medium high. Grill for 4-5 minutes each side, depending on the size of your burger patties.
- While the burgers are grilling wash and dry the lettuce, and thinly slice the tomatoes. Mix together the slice cucumbers and the yogurt sauce, finishing your tzatzkiki sauce.
- Serve the grilled burgers over the lettuce, topped with tztazkiki, tomatoes, and additional crumbled feta cheese.
This recipe originally appeared as Feta Gyro Burgers with Tzatziki Sauce at GI 365.