Fourth of July Fruit Smoothies
- Yield: 2 servings
- Red smoothie
- 12 fresh strawberries, washed and hulled
- splash of orange or other fruit juice, as needed
- White smoothie
- 1 large banana, peeled and frozen
- splash of almond or coconut milk, as needed
- 1/2cup crushed ice
- 1cup frozen blueberries
- 1/2cup plain Greek yogurt (to make these vegan, substitute for dairy-free ice cream or more dairy-free milk)
- In a blender, puree the strawberries. Add the orange juice slowly, one tablespoon at a time. Pour into a glass and place in the fridge to keep chilled.
- Give the blender a quick rinse, then add the frozen banana, 1/4 cup milk, and the ice. Blend until smooth, drizzling in more milk as needed to get a smooth consistency. Pour into a separate glass and set in the fridge.
- Give the blender another quick rinse, then add the blueberries, yogurt (if using), and a couple tablespoons of milk. Beginning blending, adding more milk as needed to keep things moving.
- Layer the colors in a glass and serve (or pour into popsicle molds to freeze). Pour the first color into your glass or popsicle tray to fill it a little less than a third of the way. Next, slowly and carefully pour or spoon the white smoothie over top. The slower you go the more separated your layers will be. Top with your last smoothie layer, and serve or freeze.
This recipe originally appeared as 4th of July Smoothies: Red, White and Blueberries on Will Cook for Friends.