Garden Pot Pie with Seitan or Tofu
- Yield 6 servings
Thicken this vegetable pot pie with arrowroot or cornstarch dissolved in water in place of a more fattening roux.
You can use prepackaged pie dough, which usually includes two round pieces of rolled dough so you can make a two-crust pie. Simply crimp the edges together for a home-style look when sealing the pie. Don't forget to cut a vent in the top allowing steam to escape. The unbaked pie freezes well if wrapped carefully. Plan ahead when you want to serve it as it needs to defrost overnight in the refrigerator. Once thawed, bake as directed.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1 cup (1-inch lengths) celery
- 1 cup (1/2-inch thick) sliced carrots
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 pound chopped seitan or extra-firm tofu
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup (1-inch pieces) green beans
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 -- (15-ounce) package refrigerated pie dough (includes two pie crusts)
- 1 -- egg, lightly beaten
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions, celery, carrots and mushrooms. Cook, stirring often, 4 minutes. Combine cornstarch and water and stir to dissolve, set aside.
- Add the tomato paste to the pot and mix into the vegetables. Continue to cook another minute. Add the seitan or tofu, stirring gently into the mix. Add the red wine and vegetable broth, continuing to stir. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer. Add green beans, peas and then stir cornstarch mixture to recombine and add to pan. Stir until the sauce thickens and cooks about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature. (Can be made up to three days prior to making the pot pie.)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Place one piece of rolled dough in a 9-inch pie pan. When vegetable mixture is cool, pour into prepared pan. Lightly but completely brush the edge of the shell with the beaten egg. Place the second piece of rolled dough over the top of the filling. Crimp the edges to seal the top and bottom pieces of dough. Brush the top of the pie lightly with the egg.
- Place pie on a baking pan and bake 45 minutes until golden brown.