Gluten-Free Almond Cake with Strawberries
- Yield: 8-12
- For the Cake
- 1 1/2cups almond flour
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1/4teaspoon orange blossom water (optional)
- 1/2cup white sugar, divided
- 1teaspoon baking powder
- 1pinch salt
- For the Topping
- 16ounces fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1/3cup white sugar
- 1/4cup slivered almonds
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray an 8-inch spring-form pan, with non-stick baking spray and set aside. Place a piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet.
2. Spread almond flour on to parchment lined baking sheet. Transfer baking sheet into the oven and toast for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until toasted and fragrant. Set aside to cool.
3. In a large bowl, beat together egg yolks, lemon zest, orange blossom water (if using) and 1/4 cup sugar until smooth.
4. In a separate bowl whisk together the almond flour and baking powder. Add the flour mixture to egg yolk mixture and beat until smooth. This mixture will be very thick once incorporated.
5. In a large stand mixer, beat egg whites on medium high speed until they start to increase in size. Once egg whites start to get fluffy, add a pinch of salt. Slowly add the remaining 1/4 cup of white sugar to the egg whites and continue to beat until soft peaks form.
6. Fold egg whites into the almond mixture 1/2 cup at a time. The batter will start to lighten as you add more egg whites and eventually become light and airy. Transfer batter to the prepared spring-form pan and place into the oven to bake for 30 – 35 minutes until the top is golden brown.
7. While the cake is baking, mix together the sliced strawberries and 1/3 cup of white sugar. Let the strawberries marinate for 30-45 minutes until a strawberry syrup has formed.
8. Remove the spring-form pan from the oven and let cool before removing the cake from the pan. Transfer the cake to a serving dish. Once cooled top the almond cake with the entire strawberry mixture letting the strawberry syrup run down the sides of the cake. Sprinkle the slivered almonds on top and serve immediately.
Recipes courtesy of chef, cookbook author and blogger Gaby Dalkin of What’s Gaby Cooking.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 143