Green Eggs with Ham
- Yield 2 servings
- 4 eggs
- pinch of salt
- splash of milk or cream
- knob of butter
- 3 tablespoons kale pesto
- toast, halved cherry tomatoes, and grilled ham, to serve
- Kale Pesto
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed
- 2 medium scallions, green parts only
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Use a fork to lightly mix the eggs, salt and milk or cream in a small bowl—not too much as you want to see a bit of yolk streaked through.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan over medium heat, then pour in the egg mixture. Once the eggs “take” a little, gently fold and lift using a flat wooden spatula— don’t stir. Pause, then fold again.
- After a minute, add the pesto and fold a little more until the egg mixture is just soft and still a bit runny (about another minute). Remove from the heat and let sit, then gently stir to ensure it is cooked through. Serve with toast, cherry tomato halves and a few slices of grilled ham.
For Kale Pesto:
- Steam the kale leaves for 2–3 minutes. Place all the ingredients in a food processor or blender and process until creamy and smooth. Store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 1 week, or cover with a layer of oil and freeze.
Reprinted from I Quit Sugar. Copyright (c) 2014 by Sarah Wilson. Photographs copyright (c) 2014 by Marija Ivkovic. Published by Clarkson Potter, a division of Random House LLC.