Grilled Eggplant, Tomatoes, and Goat Cheese
- Yield: 4 servings
- 6tablespoons Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4cup Fresh basil, minced
- 1/4cup Shallots, minced
- 2tablespoons Balsamic vinegar
- 10ounces Heirloom tomatoes, cored and chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 Small, slender Italian eggplants (about 8 oz each)
- 3/4cup Fresh goat cheese, crumbled (about 3 oz)
1 In a small bowl, combine the oil, basil, shallots, and vinegar. In another small bowl, mix the chopped tomatoes and 2 tablespoons of the oil mixture. Season the tomatoes to taste with salt and pepper.
2 Trim the rounded part off 2 opposite long sides of each eggplant. Cut the eggplants lengthwise in half and place on a small oiled baking sheet. Brush both sides with the oil mixture and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
3 Prepare a grill for direct-heat cooking over high heat. Place the eggplant on the grill. Cover and cook until tender, about 8 minutes per side. Return the eggplant to the baking sheet. Divide the cheese among the eggplant halves. Place the baking sheet on the grill, cover, and cook until the cheese begins to soften, about 3 minutes.
4 Using a metal spatula, carefully transfer the topped eggplant to warmed plates. Spoon the tomato mixture over each and serve right away.
Book Credit: Williams-Sonoma Weeknight Gluten Free by Kristine Kidd (Weldon Owen, 2013)