Herbed Scalloped Potatoes
- Yield 4-6 servings
- -- Olive oil for coating the baking dish
- 2 pounds yellow potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 4 cloves of garlic, pressed or minced
- 2 -- fresh sage leaves
- 2 -- bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- -- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Lightly oil a 21⁄2-quart baking dish.
- Layer the potatoes in the dish, and set aside.
- In a saucepan, combine the stock, garlic, sage, bay leaves, tarragon, thyme, rosemary, and pepper. Add salt to taste. Bring to a boil over high heat, then immediately remove the pan from the stove. Cover and let stand for at least 30 minutes.
- Discard the sage and bay leaves and pour the herbed broth over the potatoes. The potatoes will not be completely covered by the liquid. Drizzle the tops of the exposed potatoes with 1 tablespoon of the oil.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes. Remove the dish from the oven and turn the potatoes over, pressing down gently to immerse them as much as possible in the liquid. Drizzle the tops of the exposed potatoes with the remaining oil.
- Return to the oven and bake for 20 more minutes, or until the potatoes are tender, the liquids are reduced, and the top is nicely browned. Serve at once.
Wheat- free, soy- free
Excerpted from THE 30-DAY VEGAN CHALLENGE by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau. Copyright © 2011 by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau. Excerpted by permission of Ballantine Books, a division of Random House, Inc. All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher.
This cookbook is available for purchase here.