Jerk Steak Kabobs with Pineapple Salsa
- Yield: 4 servings
- Prep: 30 minutes
- Cook: 8 minutes
- 2 green onions, minced
- 2tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2tablespoons brown sugar
- 1tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1tablespoon grated, peeled fresh ginger
- 1teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1teaspoon dried thyme
- 1teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2teaspoon cayenne (ground red) pepper
- 1 boneless beef top sirloin steak, 1¼ inches thick (1½ pounds), cut into 1¼-inch cubes
- 4 (12-inch) metal skewers
- Pineapple Salsa
- 1 large lime
- 1 ripe pineapple, peeled, cored, and coarsely chopped
- 1cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 jalapeño chile, seeded and minced
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1teaspoon sugar
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1/8teaspoon ground black pepper
- Prepare salsa: From lime, grate ½ teaspoon peel and squeeze 2 tablespoons juice. In medium bowl, mix lime peel and juice with pineapple, cilantro, jalapeño, green onion, sugar, salt, and pepper. Cover and refrigerate up to 4 hours.
- Prepare kabobs: Prepare outdoor grill for direct grilling over medium heat, or lightly spray large ridged grill pan with nonstick cooking spray, then place over medium heat until hot.
- Meanwhile, in large bowl, mix green onions, lime juice, brown sugar, Worcestershire, ginger, oil, salt, thyme, allspice, and cayenne. Add steak cubes and toss to coat; let stand 15 minutes at room temperature.
- Thread steak cubes loosely onto skewers. Place skewers on hot grill rack or pan; cook 8 to 10 minutes for medium-rare or until desired doneness, turning occasionally. Serve kabobs with salsa.
Reprinted with permission from The Good Housekeeping Test Kitchen Grilling Cookbook © 2013 by Hearst Books, an imprint of Sterling Publishing Co., Inc.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 315
- Fat 13 g
- Saturated Fat 5 g
- Cholesterol 137 mg
- Sodium 687 mg
- Carbohydrate 15 g
- Protein 34 g