Linzer Heart Gluten-Free Cookies
- Yield: 2 dozens
- 2 1/2cups plus 2 tablespoons Basic Gluten-Free Flour Mix *
- 1/2teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 3/4teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1/2teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4cup dairy-free, soy-free vegetable shortening
- 3/4cup granulated sugar
- 1/4cup plus 2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 1/2teaspoons Ener-G egg replacer mixed with 2 tablespoons rice milk
- 3tablespoons rice milk
- 1/2cup raspberry jam
- confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
- Whisk together the flour mix, xanthan gum, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the shortening, granulated sugar, and brown sugar on medium speed, beating until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the vanilla, lemon zest, and egg replacer. Mix for about 20 seconds.
- Add the flour mixture to the bowl in three batches, mixing on low, alternating with the rice milk, and scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary, until the dough comes together.
- Divide the dough into two balls. Form into disks, wrap in waxed paper or plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle flour mix on your work surface and your rolling pin. Remove one disk of dough from the fridge. Sprinkle a little of the flour mix onto both sides of the dough. Use the palm of your hand to flatten the disk, then roll out the dough to 1/8 inch thick. (It will be a little stiff at first but will soften up fast. Pinch the edges together with your fingers the first go-around, if necessary.)
- Cut into 12 heart shapes using a 3-inch heart-shaped cookie cutter. Cut out the center from half the shapes with a 2-inch heart-shaped cookie cutter. Using a metal spatula, carefully transfer the shapes to the baking sheet, about 1 inch apart. Repeat with the remaining dough and scraps until you have 12 whole hearts, 12 hearts with the centers cut out, and about 12 bite-size hearts. Put the baking sheets in the fridge to chill the cookies again.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 15 minutes, or until just slightly golden, rotating the pan halfway through. Let cool for 10 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Once the cookies have cooled, spread the large whole hearts with the raspberry jam. Sift the confectioners’ sugar over the hearts with the centers cut out and the small bite-size hearts. Top the large whole hearts with an open heart.
Reprinted with permission from The Allergen-Free Baker’s Handbook by Cybele Pascal (Celestial Arts; 2009). Photo credit: Chugrad McAndrews. Purchase here.