Lucky Vegan Irish Stew
- extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 white onion
- 2cloves garlic, minced
- 1large leek, sliced, discard green portion
- 3/4cup fresh curly parsley, chopped
- 1/2teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 7 carrots, chopped lengthwise into 1-inch pieces
- 2 celery ribs
- 3tablespoons medium pearl barley
- 4cups veggie broth or stock
- 1/4cup apple cider vinegar
- 10small golden potatoes, cut into cubes
- 1cup fresh green beans, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- Brown sugar, to taste
- salt & pepper
- In a large heavy-bottomed pan, heat evoo over medium heat. Add onions, garlic and leek and sauté until translucent.
- Add parsley, thyme and bay leaf and stir. Add carrots, celery and pearl barley. Pour in the veggie stock and apple cider vinegar. Cover and cook on low heat for 10 minutes.
- Add potatoes, cover and cook for 30 minutes. Occasionally stir.
- Add green beans, cover and cook for about 15 more minutes or until potatoes are fork tender. Salt and pepper to taste. If the stew has too much of a vinegary taste you can add a pinch or two of brown sugar to counteract — but just add a tiny bit at a time — sweet stew is yucky. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the stew in large flat soup bowls, garnish with parsley.
Kara Smith currently lives with her husband and dog in the Western suburbs of Chicago. Her passions revolve around culinary exploration within a whole foods, plant-based diet. Check out Kara’s blog, The Passionate Parsley, for recipes, inspiration, and more!