Maple Spiced Nuts
These delectable sweet-and-spicy nuts—with a kick of cayenne balanced out by acidic lemon and maple syrup—are a great snack for your New Year's cocktail party.
- 4 cups raw nuts (almonds, cashews, walnuts and/or pecans)
- 6 tablespoons real maple syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons lemon rind
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- Heat oven to 300F. Mix all ingredients together except nuts.
- In large bowl, measure out nuts and dump maple syrup mixture on top.
- Spread nuts out onto 2 baking sheets in a single layer. Bake for 10 minutes, stir, and bake for another 10 minutes. If nuts aren’t toasted, add a couple of minutes to timer. Remove from oven, stir again, and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Serve when nuts are no longer sticking to themselves.
Recipe courtesy of France Morissette from Beyond the Peel.