Massaged Kale Salad with Avocado Cilantro Vinaigrette
- Yield 2-4 servings
Sometimes salads can get boring. But, when you start learning about what combinations of foods can help you absorb more nutrients, they become a lot more interesting.
- 1/2 cup avocado, mashed
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro
- -- juice of one lime
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 5 cups curly kale, destemmed
- 3/4 cup avocado vinaigrette
- 1/2 cup sprouts of your preference
- 1/3 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons raw pepitas (shelled pumpkin seeds)
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes
- Place all of the ingredients for the vinaigrette inside of a food processor or blender, puree until completely smooth and the cilantro leaves are in very small pieces.
- Store the dressing in a jar or Tupperware container in the refrigerator, and begin prepping the rest of the ingredients.
- Once the kale is washed and the stems are cut out, tear the leaves into bite-sized pieces approximately 1-and-a-half inches in diameter and place them into a large bowl.
- Pour the avocado vinaigrette over the kale and, with clean hands, start massaging or kneading the leaves until they are evenly coated with the dressing and have reduced in size. This will take 3-5 minutes.
- Add the sprouts, chickpeas, red onion, and raw pepitas to the kale, tossing the salad lightly. Top with the cherry tomatoes and serve.
Jackie Sobon of the food blog Vegan Yack Attack, is passionate about creating innovative and tasty recipes that cater to the taste buds of everyone, vegan or not. On top of running her food blog, she also contributes to the Examiner, One Green Planet and the Vegan Voice. In her free time, you can find her dreaming up recipes while hiking, doing yoga, or cycling; talk about preemptive action!