Mixed Greens and Roasted Butternut Squash Salad
- Yield: 6 servings
- 1cup apple cider
- 1/4cup cider vinegar
- 3tablespoons minced shallot
- 2teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2cup canola oil
- 3/4teaspoon Kosher salt, divided
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/4pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch dice (4 cups)
- 2tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 8cups mixed greens
- 2 Granny Smith apples, cored and diced
- 2ounces aged cheese or Gouda cheese
- 1/2cup walnuts, toasted
- For the vinaigrette: In a small saucepan, bring the cider to a boil and cook until reduced to ¼ cup. Let cool completely. In a medium bowl, combine vinegar, shallots, mustard and reduced cider. Whisk well. Continue whisking while slowly adding the oil until emulsified. Season with ¼ tsp. salt and pepper.
- For the salad: Toss the squash in olive oil and season with ½ tsp. salt and pepper. Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Working in batches, add a single layer of squash, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender (about 5 minutes). Uncover and cook, tossing occasionally, until browned (about 2 minutes longer). Transfer to a plate, and allow to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the greens, apples and squash. Toss with vinaigrette to lightly coat. Garnish with cheese and walnuts.
Recipes excerpted from Cooking With Love: Comfort Food that Hugs You by Carla Hall with Genevieve Ho. Copyright 2012 by Carla Hall. Published by Free Press.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 412
- Fat 32g
- Sodium 361mg
- Carbohydrate 28g
- Fiber 5g
- Protein 5g