- 1cup nonfat or low fat milk, dairy or nondairy
- 1teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1cup all purpose flour, or whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/3cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 3/4cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line standard muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a small bowl, stir together milk and vinegar. Set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine brown sugar, applesauce, and vanilla. Pour in the curdled milk mixture and stir until well combined. Add in dry ingredients until just combined.
- Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups. Bake about 18 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Once cool, top with preferred frosting.
This recipe originally appeared as How to Make 100 Calorie Moist Chocolate Cupcakes on canyoustayfordinner.com.