Moist Chocolate Cupcakes
- Yield 12 servings
Clocking in at only 100 calories, these light and moist cupcakes let you have your cake and eat it too.
- 1 cup nonfat or low fat milk, dairy or nondairy
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup all purpose flour, or whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line standard muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a small bowl, stir together milk and vinegar. Set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine brown sugar, applesauce, and vanilla. Pour in the curdled milk mixture and stir until well combined. Add in dry ingredients until just combined.
- Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups. Bake about 18 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Once cool, top with preferred frosting.