Mustardy Mac ’n’ Cheese
- Yield: 4 servings
- Prep: 30 minutes
- Cook: 15 minutes
A low-carb twist on a classic family favorite
- 4ounces Atkins Cuisine Penne Pasta
- 1medium head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 3/4 cup plain unsweetened soy milk
- 1/4cup heavy cream
- 2large eggs
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/4teaspoon cayenne
- 12ounces Cheddar cheese, shredded (3 cups)
1. Prepare penne according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, steam cauliflower in a steamer basket set in a large covered saucepan over boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
3. Whisk soy milk, cream, eggs, salt, and cayenne in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan; stir in cheese and mustard. Set over medium heat. Add pasta, cauliflower, and butter; cook, stirring constantly, until sauce becomes smooth and thick, about 5 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, heat broiler and arrange oven rack in the middle of the oven.
5. Transfer the pasta mix from the saucepan to an 8-inch-square or 9-inch-round ovenproof casserole dish. Broil for 2–3 minutes, just until a crust develops. Serve right away.
Take our simple, basic recipe and dress it up as much or as little as you please. To shave 5 minutes off the time—or if you simply prefer a creamy dish—omit Steps 4 and 5 and serve directly from the saucepan. Feel free to add more mustard if you like.
From The New Atkins for a New You Cookbook by Colette Heimowitz. Copyright (c) 2011 by Atkins Nutritionals, Inc. Printed by permission of Touchstone Books, an imprint of Simon & Schuster, Inc.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 600
- Fat 43 g
- Carbohydrate 32 g
- Protein 31 g