- Yield: 4 servings
- 3cups lightly packed baby spinach leaves
- 4ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese (1 cup shredded)
- 6 sun-dried tomato halves
- 8 fresh basil leaves
- 1large ripe tomato
- 1tablespoon cornmeal
- 1/2pound whole-wheat pizza dough, thawed if frozen
- Cooking spray
- 1/2cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1large egg white
- Preheat the oven to 450’F.
- Finely chop the spinach and shred the mozzarella. Finely chop sun-dried tomatoes and cut the basil into ribbons. Slice the ripe tomato into thin half-moons.
- Sprinkle a work surface with the cornmeal. Using your hands and/or a rolling pin, stretche the dough into a 10 x 16-inch rectangle. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray and transfer the dough to the baking sheet.
- Spread the ricotta along the middle of the dough, leaving a 3-inch boarder on each long side and a ½-inch border on the top and the bottom. Sprinkle the spinach and sun-dried tomatoes over the cheese. Arrange the tomato slices on top, then top with the mozzarella and basil. Whisk the egg white, and brush it along each side of the dough over the filling then roll the whole thing up lengthwise like a jelly roll. Press with your fingers to seal the top and bottom firmly. Position the roll so it is seam side down (diagonally if needed to fit).
- Brush the entire surface of the dough with the remaining egg white, and cut four 1-inch slits into the top of the dough, spaced about 2 inches apart.
- Bake until the crust has browned and the cheese has melted and bubbles slightly from the slits, 14 to 15 minutes. Using a serrated knife, slice into 8 pieces and serve.
Reprinted with permission from the publisher, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, from Weeknight Wonders by Ellie Krieger. Photography by Quentin Bacon. Copyright 2013. All rights reserved.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 320
- Fat 12 g
- Saturated Fat 6 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 0.4 g
- Monounsaturated Fat 3.8
- Cholesterol 30 mg
- Sodium 720 mg
- Carbohydrate 37 g
- Fiber 5 g
- Protein 20 g