- 4 large portabello mushrooms
- 1pound Italian Sausage (hot or mild)
- 8 slices fresh mozzarella cheese, about 1/2 pound
- 20 slices pepperoni or salami
- 3cups cherry tomatoes
- 1teaspoon sea salt
- Fresh basil for garnish
- Preheat grill on high. Clean mushrooms and remove stems and gills. Set aside.
- Form Italian sausage into four patties. Place cherry tomatoes and sea salt into blender and blend until chunky.
- Lower grill heat to medium and place mushrooms cap side down. Spoon about ¼ cup of sauce onto each mushroom. Place sausage patties on grill. Cook sausage and mushrooms, about 8 minutes each. Turn sausage patties over and layer five pieces of pepperoni and two slices mozzarella on each patty. Cook 5-8 minutes, until burgers are cooked through and cheese is melty.
- Remove mushrooms from grill. Stack sausage burgers on top of mushroom caps and garnish with fresh basil.
This recipe originally appeared as Meat Lover’s Pizza Burgers on gi365.info/food.