Quinoa Salad with Blueberries, Strawberries and Watermelon
- Yield: 6 servings
A colorful, vegan, gluten-free salad worthy of July Fourth.
- For the Quinoa
- 2cups uncooked quinoa
- 3cups fresh water
- pinch of sea salt, to taste
- 1 1/2cups fresh blueberries, washed, picked over
- 1 1/2cups fresh strawberries, washed, sliced
- 1 1/2cups diced watermelon
- 6cups baby salad greens
- handful of fresh chopped herbs: cilantro, dill, parsley, and mint
- For the Dressing
- 1/2cup extra virgin olive oil
- fresh-squeezed lime juice from 1-2 limes
- cracked pepper, to taste
- Place the quinoa, water, and sea salt in a large to medium rice cooker, and cover. Cook until all the water is evaporated and the quinoa is tender. Scoop the cooked quinoa into a large bowl and fluff with a fork. Let it cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, prepare the fruit and baby greens.
- When the quinoa has cooled, drizzle it with the extra virgin olive oil and toss well to coat, fluffing with a fork to separate the grains. Add the fresh squeezed lime juice and toss again. Season with cracked pepper, to taste. Taste test. Add more olive oil or lime as needed.
- Add the blueberries to the quinoa, and toss lightly.
- Distribute the baby greens on six plates. Add the quinoa and blueberries. Add the sliced strawberries and diced watermelon, and the fresh chopped herbs.
Recipe courtesy of Karina Allrich, who was diagnosed with celiac disease in 2001. She has been cooking and baking gluten-free ever since, serving up fresh recipes on her popular food blog, Gluten-Free Goddess. Her new eBook cookbook Gluten-Free Goddess is now available on iTunes.