Red, White and Blue Parfaits with Ricotta and Almonds
- Yield 4 servings
- 4 cups fresh berries (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries and raspberries are used in this recipe)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- Vanilla Bean Ricotta
- 1 1/2 cups fresh skim or whole ricotta
- 1 vanilla bean, seeded (se a paring knife to split the bean in half and scrape the seeds from the pod)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 lemon, zested
- In a medium bowl, combine the berries, basil, sugar, and lemon juice. Cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes to allow the berries to release some of their juices.
- Heat a medium skillet or pan over medium heat. (Do not put any oil in the pan.) When hot, add the almonds and toast for 3 minutes until golden brown and fragrant. Remove from the pan and let them cool to room temperature.
- Place all the ingredients for the vanilla bean ricotta in a large bowl. Using a hand mixer, whip the ricotta until smooth. You can also do this in a blender or food processor (or by hand if you are Amish and have no appliances).
- Start to assemble the parfaits by spooning about 2½ tablespoons of ricotta into each mason jar/glass.Top with a layer of toasted almonds (about 2 teaspoons each). Add about a ½ cup of the berry mixture. Repeat each layer a second time, and sprinkle the top with any remaining almonds.
- Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate until ready to eat or take on-the-go.
This recipe originally appeared as Summer Berry Parfaits with Vanilla Bean Ricotta and Toasted Almonds on Domesticate Me.