Gluten-Free Rolled Sugar Cookies
- Yield: servings
- 1/4cup butter
- 1/4cup shortening
- 1/2cup sugar
- 1 1/2cups brown rice flower
- 1whole egg, plus 1 egg yolk
- 1/4teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Very lightly grease a cookie sheet.
- In a medium-size bowl, combine the butter, shortening, and sugar. Beat well. Add the brown rice flour and beat well. Scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl at least once during mixing. Add the remaining ingredients and beat well. Continue beating until the dough comes together. At this stage the dough will be too soft to roll. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Roll out the dough to between 1⁄8- and 1⁄4-inch thickness. Cut it using cookie cutters of your choice and place the cut cookies on the prepared pan. Decorate with sprinkles or colored sugar as desired (or leave bare, if you are planning to ice them later).
- Bake the cookies for about 10 minutes, until the edges begin to brown. Let cool on wire racks.
- Ice and decorate, if desired.
From the book The Ultimate Gluten-Free Cookie Book, by Roben Ryberg. Reprinted by arrangement with Da Capo Lifelong, a member of the Perseus Books Group. Copyright © 2010.