Sausage, Walnut & Beet Hash
- 1 good-quality sausage
- 1small parcooked-and-frozen beet, cut into 1/2 inch cubes, or wedges
- red onion or a few green shallots
- a few kale leaves, de-veined and finely chopped
- splash of apple cider vinegar
- handful walnuts, preferably sprouted
- yogurt and olive oil, to serve
- finely chopped preserved lemon, to serve
- Cook the sausage in a frying pan until almost done. Remove and chop into 1-in. chunks, then set aside.
- Add the beet, onion and kale to the pan and sauté. Add a little vinegar and stir, scraping any cooked bits from the bottom of the pan. Cook for 3–5 minutes, until the kale is soft.
- Return the sausage to the pan and add the walnuts. Serve with yogurt and a little oil drizzled over, or combine some preserved lemon, oil and yogurt and spoon on top.
Reprinted from I Quit Sugar. Copyright (c) 2014 by Sarah Wilson. Photographs copyright (c) 2014 by Marija Ivkovic. Published by Clarkson Potter, a division of Random House LLC.