Shrimp and Grits
- Yield 6 servings
- Prep 25 min
- Cook 30 min
Succulent shrimp served over cheesy grits for less than 300 calories a serving—what could get much better than that?
- Parmesan Grits
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1 cup uncooked quick-cooking grits
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Creamy Shrimp Sauce
- 1 pound medium-size raw shrimp
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon table salt
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
- 2 cups firmly packed fresh baby spinach
- Prepare Parmesan Grits: Bring ½ tsp. salt and 4 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan; gradually whisk in grits. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 8 minutes or until thickened. Whisk in cheese and pepper. Keep warm.
- Prepare Creamy Shrimp Sauce: Peel shrimp; devein, if desired. Sprinkle shrimp with pepper and ⅛ tsp. salt. Cook in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat 1 to 2 minutes on each side or just until shrimp turn pink. Remove from skillet. Reduce heat to medium. Add oil; heat 30 seconds. Whisk in flour; cook 30 seconds to 1 minute. Whisk in broth and next 5 ingredients; cook 2 to 3 minutes or until thickened. Stir in shrimp and spinach; cook 1 minute or until spinach is slightly wilted. Serve immediately over grits.
Recipe courtesy of THE SLIM DOWN SOUTH COOKBOOK: Eating Well and Living Healthy in the Land of Biscuits and Bacon (January 6, 2014; Oxmoor House; $24.95/Hardcover).