Spicy Cauliflower and Chicken Sausage Gratin
- Yield: 8 servings
- Prep: 10 minutes
- Cook: 55 minutes
- 3cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1small jalapeno, finely chopped
- 1large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/2pound Spicy Chicken Sausage, removed from the casings
- 1can 14.5-ounce diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/2teaspoon kosher salt
- 1medium head cauliflower, cut into evenly sized florets (about 3 lbs)
- 1/2cup organic whole wheat bread crumbs
- 3tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4teaspoon kosher salt
- a couple turns freshly ground black pepper
- fresh basil chiffonade for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Place garlic and jalapeno in bowl of food processor. Process until finely chopped.
- Add onion and pulse until just chopped.
- Drain tomatoes in a colander.
- Transfer onion mixture to a large mixing bowl. Add crumbled sausage meat (removed from casings), drained tomatoes and salt.
- Cut cauliflower florets into even-sized pieces.
- Combine bread crumbs, olive oil, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Finally, grab a handful of basil and cut into a chiffonade. Set aside for serving.
- Gently toss cauliflower florets with sausage mixture. I used my (just washed) hands to make it easier to distribute all the ingredients.
- Spray a 9×13 glass baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Pour cauliflower mixture into glass baking dish and cover with tin foil. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove tin foil, mix around and bake uncovered for 20 more minutes.Evenly spread bread crumb topping and place back into oven. Finish by baking for 10 to 15 minutes until crust is golden brown and crispy.
- Top with basil, serve immediately and Enjoy!
Recipe courtesy of Everyday Maven, an accomplished home cook, recipe developer and lover of all things healthy, Alyssa Brantley is an expert in the kitchen. Her focus is on creating healthy and delicious global recipes that use whole foods and natural ingredients, yet fit in with the type of balanced eating recommended by Weight Watchers. Moderation, within healthy guidelines is the key to everyday well-being!