Spicy Corn and Squash Chowder
- Yield 4 servings
Low in fat, high in flavor, this soup is easy enough to be a go-to recipe.
- 1 pound yellow squash, thinly sliced
- 1 cup water
- -- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 -- onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 -- (15-ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1 -- (4-ounce) can diced green chilies, drained
- 1 -- (12-ounce) can evaporated skimmed milk
- 2 slices reduced-fat American cheese, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Cook the squash in water, covered, over medium-high heat with salt and pepper until squash is tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a pot coated with nonstick cooking spray, saute onion and green pepper over medium heat until tender, about 5 mintues. Add garlic and tomato and saute 2 minutes. Stir in corn, green chilies, squash and evaporated milk. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and add American cheese, stirring, until cheese is melted. Break squash up with a fork.