Spicy Sweet Potato Puree
- Yield: 4 servings
Sweet potatoes are great sources of vitamins C and A, as well as fiber, potassium and bone-building calcium.
- 3medium sweet potatoes
- 1/2cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4cup 2% milk
- 2 3-inch strips lime zest
- 1tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1clove garlic
- 1/2teaspoon jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
- 1teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1teaspoon whole coriander seed
- 1/4teaspoon kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1tablespoon unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Pierce the sweet potatoes with a fork, and roast on sheet pan until soft, about 40 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Toast mustard and coriander seeds by heating them in a small, dry skillet until just fragrant.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the stock, milk, lime zest and juice, garlic, jalapeño, and mustard and coriander seeds. Bring to a boil and season with salt and pepper. Adjust the heat and simmer until reduced by a third. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl and discard the solids.
- Peel potatoes and place in a food processor. With the machine running, add enough of the stock mixture to create a smooth puree. Add the butter and continue processing until melted and fully incorporated. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Recipes excerpted from Cooking With Love: Comfort Food that Hugs You by Carla Hall with Genevieve Ho. Copyright 2012 by Carla Hall. Published by Free Press.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 121
- Fat 3g
- Sodium 202mg
- Carbohydrate 21g
- Fiber 3g