Strawberry-Blackberry Sour Cream Scones
- Yield: 12 servings
- Cook: 30 minutes
- 4 1/2cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2cup granulated sugar
- 2teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 3/4pound unsalted butter, cold and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3/4 sour cream
- 1/4cup + 1 tbsp water
- 1cup strawberries, halved or quartered if large
- 1cup blackberries
- 2 egg yolks
- 2tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper.
- In a food processor, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt. Add in the butter in a few batches, pulsing to combine. The mixtures should resemble a coarse meal, with small chunks of butter still visible.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, stir together the sour cream and water.
- Transfer flour/butter mixture to a large bowl and add in the berries. Add in the sour cream/water mixture and mix until the dough just begins to stick together (if it’s still too dry, add in water 1 tablespoon at a time).
- Turn the dough out onto a light floured surface and form into two 6-inch rounds. Slice each round in half, and each half into thirds. Place 6 scones on each lined baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and milk. Using a pastry brush, brush the tops of the scone with the mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden brown and firm to the touch.
This recipe originally appeared on Spache the Spatula.