Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes
- Yield 10 servings
These fluffy vegan cupcakes get a boost of flavor from juicy strawberries and fresh coconut cream icing.
- Vanilla Cupcakes
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons arrowroot powder or 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance, softened or 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Whipped Coconut Cream Icing
- 1 (13.5 ounce) can full-fat unsweetened coconut milk, chilled overnigh
- 2 teaspoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup strawberries, hulled and diced
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease muffin tin or use paper liners.
- Combine almond milk and vinegar in a measuring cup. Let sit, about 5-10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, arrowroot powder or cornstarch, baking soda, baking powder and salt. In a separate large bowl, combine Earth Balance or canola oil and granulated sugar with a hand mixer, about one minute or until fluffy. Add in vanilla extract and beat until well combined. Alternate adding almond and flour mixtures in small portions, until well combined.
- Fill cupcake liners, about 2/3 full.Bake 20-22 minutes. Let cool before icing.
- To make icing, remove coconut milk from refrigerator. Drain excess liquid and scrape thick cream into a large bowl. Beat with a mixer on high, until whipped. Add powdered sugar and vanilla extract, and beat until well combined.
- Add diced strawberries to coconut cream and spoon icing on top of cupcakes.