Turkey Burgers with Monkeygland Sauce
- Yield: 6 servings
- Prep: 20 minutes
- Cook: 30 minutes
- Monkeygland sauce
- 2tablespoons oil
- 1 onion. chopped
- 2cloves garlic, chaopped
- 1 red chili, seeds removed and finely chopped
- 125milliliters Worchester sauce
- 250milliliters chutney (preferably Mrs Ball's Original chutney)
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 10milliliters tomato paste
- 45milliliters white wine vinegar
- 60milliliters brown sugar
- 500grams turkey mince
- 1/2 onion, very finely chopped
- 2cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2slices bread, crusts removed
- 125milliliters milk
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- Burger toppings
- burger buns
- red onion
To make the Monkeygland Sauce:
- Heat the oil in a pan over a medium heat.
- Fry the onion, garlic and chilli until the onion is soft and nicely browned.
- Add the Worcester Sauce, chutney, tomatoes, tomato paste, vinegar and brown sugar to the cooked onions and mix well.
- Continue to cook over a low heat until the sauce has reduced down to a jam-like consistency (about 15 to 20 minutes).
- Remove from the heat and let the sauce cool down while you make the burgers.
To make the burgers:
- Combine the mince, onion and garlic in a mixing bowl.
- Soak the bread in the milk and then gently squeeze out any excess milk.
- Add the bread mixture to the mince and season with salt and pepper.
- Knead the mixture together with your hands until well incorporated.
- Mould the mixture into 6 patties. The mixture is very wet but if handled carefully they will hold together nicely.
- Using a small amount of sunflower oil, fry gently until cooked.
- Assemble burgers, using additional extras and top with a generous helping of Monkeygland sauce.
this recipe originally appeared on My Golden Pear.