Uber-Rich, Dairy-Free Peanut Butter Ice Cream
This recipe is Vegan / Vegetarian, Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Gluten-Free, Soy-Free, and optionally Free of Refined Sugars, but definitely NOT Fat-Free
- Ice Cream
- 1 14-oz Can Whole or Light Coconut Milk (I used whole – whoa rich! Light would tone it down a bit and mellow the coconut flavor)
- 1/3cup Creamy Peanut Butter (or to taste, I used lightly salted)
- 1/3cup Agave Nectar, Maple Syrup, Brown Sugar, or Honey* (or to taste)
- 1teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Batch Dairy-Free Peanut Butter Chunks (recipe below)
- Peanut Butter Chunks
- 1 1/2tablespoons coconut oil
- 3tablespoons creamy peanut butter (I use lightly salted)
- 2tablespoons Agave Nectar or Honey (don’t sub sugar here, you want soft chunks)
- 1/4teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Combine the coconut milk, peanut butter, agave (see note below for honey), and vanilla in your blender, and blend until smooth. Place the mixture in your refrigerator and allow it to thoroughly chill before proceeding. Use this time to make sure the canister of your ice cream maker has been thoroughly chilled in the freezer, and that the container you will pack the ice cream in for keeping is also chilled.
- Pour the mixture into your ice cream maker, and follow the manufacturer’s instructions (this recipe is rich enough, that you may have success simply freezing it and stirring occasionally until frozen if you don’t have an ice cream maker).
- While that is whirring away, make the PB chunks. The recipe below makes a lotta chunks. If you want to start with less, half it.
- When the ice cream is done, pack it into your chilled container, and drizzle the top with as much of the melted PB Chunks as you desire, creating a thin or thick layer. Freeze until mostly firm. The PB chunk layer will be solidified, break it up with a spoon and stir into the peanut butter ice cream. Freeze until completely firm. Spoon into bowls, enjoy.
* If using honey, you will need to heat the mixture slowly in a saucepan until the honey dissolves. Unlike agave, honey is a bit temperamental about dissolving in cold liquids.
TO MAKE THE PEANUT BUTTER CHUNKS:
- Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan over low heat, and stir until everything is melted and combined.
- This makes a lot of PB chunkage, so you may only want to use 1/2 or 3/4 of the recipe for the ice cream quantities in the recipe above.
Alisa Fleming is the founder of GoDairyFree.org and author of Go Dairy Free: The Guide and Cookbook