Vegan Baja Black Bean Burgers
- Yield 4 servings
- Black Bean Burgers
- 3 cups black beans (or 2 15oz cans, rinsed)
- 2 cups mushrooms
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1/4 cup cilantro stalks (or the stems from one bunch, reserve the leaves)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 green onion, slivered
- 3/4 cup fresh corn (or 1 cob)
- 6 tablespoons ground flax
- 1/2 cup gluten-free flour
- sea salt to taste
- Chunky Guacamole
- 2 avocados
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 2 tablespoons lime
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Begin by pureeing the mushrooms, onion, cilantro stalks, and garlic until it makes a fine paste-like consistency.
- Heat a frying pan to medium, and add 2 tsp. of oil. Add the mushroom mix, cinnamon, cumin, coriander, and smoked paprika. Cook for about five minutes or until the mushrooms begin to cook. Add the diced peppers and cook for another minute or two until they begin to soften.
- Transfer the mushroom mixture to a bowl, and mix in the beans, green onion, fresh corn, and flax meal. Taste and adjust for seasoning (if you are using canned beans you will need less salt). Slowly stir in the flour, you may need a little less or more depending on your mix.
- Heat a heavy frying pan to medium and add a touch of oil. Shape the burger mix into about 4-5 patties. Once the oil is hot, place two patties in the pan and fry for about 5 minutes or until they begin to brown. Flip the burgers and then place in a 190 C (375) F oven for about 10 minutes.
- To make the guacamole, mash all ingredients together with a fork. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Serve on a wholegrain bun and top with guacamole, creamy lime slaw, and salsa. If you want a gluten free -bread free option, serve the patty on a bed of creamy lime coleslaw.
This recipe was adapted from Baja Black Bean Burger with Creamy Lime Coleslaw from Wholehearted Eats.