- 1/4cup beet puree (or sub unsweetened apple sauce)
- 1/4cup unsweetened almond milk + 1/2 tsp vinegar
or lemon juice
- 2 1/2tablespoons organic cane sugar (or sub granulated sugar)
- 1tablespoon melted coconut oil or Earth Balance
- 1/4teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch sea salt
- 2tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4cup + 1/2 Tbsp unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2tablespoons semisweet chocolate chips, melted
- 2 squares vegn chocolate, for middle
blog comments powered by
- Preheat oven to 375F. Butter muffin tins with dairy-free butter and coat with cocoa powder; shake out excess.
- Mix almond milk and vinegar in a small bowl. Let sit for a few minutes. Add sugar, oil, vanilla, and beet puree to almond milk mixture and beat until foamy.
- Add cocoa powder, flour, baking powder, and salt to wet ingredients and combine until smooth. Add melted chocolate and mix well.
- Divide batter evenly into muffin tins. Add one square of dark chocolate to center of each cake. Cover with batter using a spoon. Bake 15-20 minutes, or until edges pull away slightly and top no longer appears wet.
This recipe originally appeared as Vegan Chocolate Lava Cakes on minimalistbaker.com.