Want to give yoga a try, but not ready to take your workout public? Try this series of yoga poses from Anna Guest-Jelly, the creator of Curvy Yoga.
RELATED: The Best Yoga Studios For Larger Women
Standing Forward Bend
- Stand with your feet a comfortable distance apart.
- Inhale, raising arms above your head, palms facing each other.
- Exhale, bend your knees and begin to gently fold forward as far as is available to you.
- Hands can come to the thighs, shins, to a block (or two – one under each hand on any of their three heights) or to the floor. Stay here for 3 breaths, working your legs towards straight as you hold.
- If your belly feels compressed here, step your feet wider and/or come back up for a moment, bring your hands to your low belly and tuck the skin towards the pelvis before folding back down.
- On your next inhale, come back up with arms overhead. Exhale back to standing.
- Begin standing near the back of your mat with your feet a comfortable distance apart.
- Turn your left toes out about 30 degrees to the left.
- Step your right foot forward a comfortable distance and bring your hands to your hips.
- Inhale and bend through your right knee, making sure your knee is tracking in line with your 2nd toe. If you’re bending far past your ankle, scoot your foot forward a bit until you’re not.
- Exhale and straighten your leg back to the starting position.
- Repeat moving on the breath 2 more times, using this as an opportunity to learn more about what your knee needs today.
- After this, on your next inhale, bend again through the right knee. Instead of moving dynamically, though, hold here for several breaths.
- When you’re ready to come out, step the back foot forward to meet the front foot. Then walk to the back of your mat to do the other side.