Did you know that less than 60% of American dinners that were served at home in 2015 were actually home-cooked? That’s down from 75% just 30 years ago. The struggle to get dinner on the table is real. Meal-kit delivery service HelloFresh makes it easier by doing the planning and shopping for you, making cooking fun and hassle-free. Here are 5 kitchen secrets from HelloFresh chef Freida Hirsch, a member of the team who creates 500+ recipes annually, all designed to be repeated by millions of novice at-home cooks.
- For a better sear, the secret is to pat the meat dry with paper towels before seasoning. Moisture prevents browning and causes the food to steam; the less moisture, the better the sear!
- DIY vinaigrette is simple, so have fun! Experiment with different vinegars, from apple cider to sherry and citrus – to find the style that works best for you.
- To poach an egg, the trick is to create a whirlpool! Once the water is simmering, add a tablespoon or two of white vinegar and swirl. Pour the egg into the center and cook 2-3 minutes while continuing the whirlpool.
- When chopping vegetables, practice makes perfect! The tip is to shape your hand into a claw to make your fingertips perpendicular to the food to stabilize and shield your fingertips from the knife.
- To prepare fish, add the heat! The key to preventing the fish from sticking is a very hot pan with a drizzle of a neutral oil.
Try out these 5 secret tips and tricks yourself with our easy recipes: