Don’t let the joy and stress associated with the holidays lead to weight gain. As a fitness expert and ex-yo-yo dieter who grew up in a family that struggles with obesity, I understand the vicious cycles that come from lack of exercise and poor eating habits that lead to becoming unmotivated and not reaching your goals.
To remedy that, I recommend creating a routine that will allow you to stick to resolutions the healthy way to make 2012 your best year ever.Following are some tips and tools to get you started:
1. Choose three personal goals and write them down. For instance:
- Drink 8 glasses of water per day
- Fit into favorite pants by February 1st
- Teach yourself to pre-cook meals for the week
2. Know what sabotages you. Are you a procrastinator, excuser or overachiever?
3. FREE yourself from bad habits.
- F—Free yourself from emotional eating and over exercising
- R—Recharge your batteries by getting proper rest to lose calories
- E—Eat wholesome, healthy, clean foods that “swim, grow or fly”
- E—Find things that energize your mind, body and soul
4. Invest in a journal to document your progress and/or a heart rate monitor and calorie counter to track calories and mileage.
5. Challenge yourself by walking or running a little further each time. Burn 15 extra calories with each work out. Choose basic exercises such as push-ups, jumping jacks, leg lifts and squats. Repeat the sequence three times, and try to beat your previous count with each work out.
6. You must learn how to eat before you can change your physique. Smaller, more frequent meals will increase your energy. Eat every 2-3 hours, and document food intake. You may be eating too much or too little. Both sabotage weight loss.
7. Pre-package healthy snacks like almonds, apples, rice cakes, Lara bars or a protein shake. Avoid carbohydrates at dinner, and if eaten, make sure they are whole grain or whole wheat.
8. Limit alcohol.
9. Choose a good meal replacement/post workout protein shake with vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and fiber.
Learn more about Lindsay Messina, get more tips or sign up for her newsletter at www.bbllifestyle.com.