What’s More Safe? Fireworks or Sparklers?

Family Health, Featured Article, Healthy Living
on June 5, 2012

It’s not that fireworks aren’t dangerous. It’s that sparklers aren’t safe, either.

“Sparklers actually burn at 2000 degrees Fahrenheit,” explains Nychelle Fleming, a public affairs specialist for the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission. “That’s as hot as a blowtorch. It’s hot enough to burn metal.” If you insist on using sparklers for a celebration, exercise extreme caution. Keep a bucket of water nearby, don’t touch someone with a sparkler and don’t wear loose-fitting clothing. A safer bet: Take your family to see a fireworks show handled by professionals.